nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:20:06 -0400

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg () tristatelogic com>
wrote:

In my own defense, I didn't see the ARIN allocation because I have a
normative process that I use for looking up IP addresses.  It's
hierarchical, and I always start with whatver whois.iana.org has to
say.  And it says that that 103.0.0.0/8 belongs to APNIC, so of course,
I only looked at what whois.apnic.net had to say about 103.11.67.105.
And it says that it's unallocated.  (And apparently, data shown for
announced prefixes on the bgp.he.net web site is also obtained in this
same straightforward way, because it also is showing 103.11.67.0/24 as
registered to "Asia Pacific Network Information Centre".)

In this new world of inter-rir transfers your process needs a revision.
it's also not uncommon for hosting folks to allocate address space to
non-local customers.