nanog mailing list archives

Re: Legislative proposal sent to my Congressman

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:54:38 +0200

* Lyndon Nerenberg:

In thinking over the last DDos involving IoT devices, I think we
don't have a good technical solution to the problem.  Cutting off
people with defective devices they they don't understand, and have
little control over, is an action that makes sense, but hurts the
innocent.  "Hey, Grandma, did you know your TV set is hurting the
Internet?"

The way this will get solved is for a couple of large ISPs and DDoS
targets to sue a few of these IoT device manufacturers into oblivion.

But that does not remove those devices from the network.