nanog mailing list archives

Re: intra-AS messaging for route leak prevention

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:38:22 +0200

On 10/Jun/16 19:34, Leo Bicknell wrote:

It does mean the provider creating the leak has already lost, but
that doesn't mean it still isn't vital to protecting the larger
internet.  A good example of this is fire code.  Most fire codes
do not do much to prevent you from starting a fire in your own
house/condo/apartment, but rather prevent it from spreading to your
neighbors.

I've found communities to be robust at filtering very effectively.

I have heard of software issues that may cause filters to stop working,
but I have not yet encountered any such issues myself that had nothing
to do with a mis-configuration or lack of understanding about how
policies are evaluated by the router.

For instance, if you filter Customer A to A's Prefix list on ingress,
B to B's, C to C's, it may also be prudent to filter outbound to
your peers based on A+B+C's prefix list.  When the ingress filter
to A fails (typo, bug, bad engineer), your own network is hosed by
whatever junk A ingested, but at least you won't pass it on to peers
and spoil the rest of the Internet.

That does not scale, and was probably one of the primary reasons
communities were developed.

Basically both ingress and egress filtering have weaknesses, and
in some cases doing both can provide some mitigation.  It's the old
adage "belt and suspenders".

We've been operating purely community-based filtering on border and
peering routers for years. I've never ran into an issue with the
software that broke that.

The folk I know who have suffered this either mis-configured their
policies, did not understand BGP and did not get a good handle on how
their router OS implements filtering and filter evaluation.

Mark.