nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 traffic percentages?

From: Job Snijders <job () instituut net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 00:35:54 +0100

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 08:23:09AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
We could assert that the TTL is an indication of distance traveled.

you might hypothesize it.  but the wide variance in per-hop rtt would
seem to belie that.

Maybe one should record the TTL and Address Family of all packets
received from the internet ('inbound') at the next NANOG or IETF?

we have large bodies of traceroute and ping results in various stores,
mlab, atlas, mawi, ...  it is the analysis to test your original
hypothesis which baffles me.

I'm not sure if milions traceroutes to all kinds of places are a good
dataset to begin with.

I'd try to look at natural / organic traffic, such as can be caught at a
dual-stacked CPE or webserver. The majority of the traffic my employer
carriers is not traceroute packets but other stuff.

When will you have the paper ready for publishing? :)