nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 traffic percentages?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:44:27 -0800

On Jan 20, 2016, at 06:45 , Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Job Snijders <job () instituut net> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:13:41PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
I propose the following axiom: the greater the distance over which a
packet is forwarded, the less likely it is to be an IPv6 packet.

that is a hypothesis not an axiom [...]

Thanks.

but an interesting hypothesis.  how do you propose to test it?

We could assert that the TTL is an indication of distance traveled.

Maybe one should record the TTL and Address Family of all packets
received from the internet ('inbound') at the next NANOG or IETF?

One could likely just watch the traffic from CPE at a home of any
DS user and track the TTLs there.

The problem of course is networks that do not do TTL decrement, or
are doing 6PE over an IPv4 only core.  It makes this a less scientific
study IMHO.

I think that’s actually in the noise since we are using TTL as a proxy
for distance traveled. The networks you are describing are by and large
not international or even continental transit networks.

Owen