nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 traffic percentages?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 07:20:37 -0500

On Jan 20, 2016, at 7:14 AM, nanog-isp () mail com wrote:

Hello all,

Would those with IPv6 deployments kindly share some statistics on their percentage of IPv6 traffic?

Bonus points for sharing top IPv6 sources. Anything else than the usual suspects, Google/YouTube, Netflix and
Facebook?

Some public information I've found so far:
- Comcast around 25% IPv6 traffic (
http://www.lightreading.com/ethernet-ip/ip-protocols-software/facebook-ipv6-is-a-real-world-big-deal/a/d-id/718395 )
- Comcast has over 1 Tb/s (of mostly YouTube traffic) over IPv6 (
http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/comcast-reaches-key-milestone-in-launch-of-ipv6-broadband-network )
- Swisscom 26% IPv6 traffic, 60% YouTube ( http://www.swinog.ch/meetings/swinog27/p/01_Martin_Gysi.pdf )

I'd be very much interested in hearing from smaller ISPs, especially those having a very limited number of IPv4
addresses and/or running out.

Thanks,

Jared

^^^^^^^
Not me ;)

I currently see around 56.4:1 with the timing of peaks the same in v4 and v6.

I am talking with a few local wireless ISPs in my area that are going to be running fiber, they currently provide a
NAT44 experience and I’m pushing them to deploy IPv6 to preserve their CGN state.  This is mostly an exercise in them
making the time to enable it vs needing convincing.

- [another] Jared