nanog mailing list archives

Re: Handling of Abuse Complaints

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:46:25 -0400

There is a distance to travel between cant and cant effectively.

Perhaps they can share how they ever so effectively have solved this conundrum. After all, they are apparently not getting any abuse reports ever. As an operator of several open resolvers (with rate limiting and automatic mitigation in effect) to support my customer base until the network landscape supports alternative approaches, I would like to know how they accomplished that little trick.

Filip Hruska wrote:
Google, Level 3 and the like's open DNS resolvers are strictly
rate-limited. They can't be used as DDOS amplifiers.

On the other hand, there are tons of open resolvers on the internet
without any sort of limiting. These are very effective amplifiers.

Regards,
Filip