nanog mailing list archives

Re: Handling of Abuse Complaints

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:05:13 -0700

On Mon 2016-Aug-29 10:55:27 -0500, Jason Lee <jason.m.lee () gmail com> wrote:

NANOG Community,

I was curious how various players in this industry handle abuse complaints.
I'm drafting a policy for the service provider I'm working for about
handing of complaints registered against customer IP space. In this example
I have a customer who is running an open resolver and have received a few
complaints now regarding it being used as part of a DDoS attack.

My initial response was to inform the customer and ask them to fix it. Now
that its still ongoing over a month later, I'd like to take action to
remediate the issue myself with ACLs but our customer facing team is
pushing back and without an idea of what the industry best practice is,
management isn't sure which way to go.

I'm hoping to get an idea of how others handle these cases so I can develop
our formal policy on this and have management sign off and be able to take
quicker action in the future.

If you've informed them of the issue, given them time to resolve, and they've failed to take action, at some point you need to escalate and cauterize the wound to prevent abuse traffic spewing forth from the cusotmer's (and subsequently your) network.

How you implement that specifically is your call, but I would at least start giving specific timelines to the customer and outline the steps that will be taken if they fail to remediate by those times in order to give them fair warning.

I've been fairly specific previously about crafting filters to drop just the offending traffic, which should be doable here given the vector, but in other cases where it was obvious the offending hosts were simply compromised to hell and spewing myriad garbage traffic, I have cut users off completely to chop C&C access etc.

This was during time at a regional commercial ISP on business circuits.

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal

Thanks,

Jason