nanog mailing list archives

Re: Password storage (was Re: gmail security is a joke)

From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 16:36:45 -0400

On May 28, 2015 10:11 AM, "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Robert Kisteleki <robert () ripe net> wrote:

Bcrypt or PBKDF2 with random salts per password is really what anyone
storing passwords should be using today.

One thing to remember is the hardware determines number of rounds. So while
my LUKS (PBKDF2) pass on my laptop or servers have a few 10k rounds, that
same pass on a Pi or so would only have 1k rounds (minimum rec).

I get the feeling that, along with things like 'email address
verification' in javascript form things, passwd storage and management
is something done via a few (or a bunch of crappy home-grown) code
bases.

Not generally passwords per se but session tokens and the like, sure
(almost as bad).

Seems like 'find the common/most-used' ones and fix them would get
some mileage? I don't imagine that 'dlink' (for example) is big on
following rfc stuff for their web-interface programming? (well, at
least for things like 'how should we store passwds?')

Heh, I started on a fuzzer that'd take a few strings and run them through
recipes (base 32/64, rot, xor 1 or 0, etc) and try to find human strings
along the way. If multiple strings match a recipe, you can generate your
own sessions.