nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:44:28 -0600

On 2/27/2015 10:43, wbn wrote:

On Feb 27, 2015, at 7:21 AM, Bob Evans
<bob () FiberInternetCenter com> wrote:

Just think of all that innovation and investment that's been
"stifled" over the last 50 years under Title II. Anyone remember
having to "rent" their rotary phones from AT&T?

Yes, I am that old. You were not allowed to connect a phone of your
own.

Me too - I remember when my Dad got the nasty call from AT&T because
he plugged in an unauthorized phone in the house - I guess they could
tell from the additional resistance on the line. But the phone system
worked pretty reliably back then - can’t say the same about today’s
misc mash of systems.

We could could the number of ringers.

Anyway, back to the topic… this looks like most telecom debates:
people latch onto one side or the other, the fight is in the context
(problem statement and the definitions) but underneath it all there
are actually reasonable perspectives on each side.

"reasonable perspectives" are dependent on "side"--not many will be from MY side.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes