nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering + Transit Circuits

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:22:48 -0400

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net>
wrote:

On Aug 18, 2015, at 1:24 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com> wrote:

Question: What is the preferred practice for separating peering and
transit
circuits?

1. Terminate peering and transit on separate routers.
2. Terminate peering and transit circuits in separate VRFs.
3. QoS/QPPB (

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog42/presentations/DavidSmith-PeeringPolicyEnforcement.pdf
)
4. Don't worry about peers stealing transit.
5. What is peering?

Your comments are appreciated.

If you have a small number of peers, a separate router carrying a
partial table works really well.

To expand on this, and answer Tim’s question one post up in the thread:

Putting all peer routes on a dedicated router with a partial table avoids
the “steal transit” question. The Peering router can only speak to peers
and your own network. Anyone dumping traffic on it will get !N (unless they
are going to a peer, which is a pretty minimal risk).

It has lots of other useful features such as network management and
monitoring. It lets you do maintenance much easier. Etc., etc.

But mostly, it lets you avoid joining an IX and having people use you as a
backup transit provider.

This has always been my understanding - thanks for confirming. I'm weighing
cost-benefit, and looking to see if there are any other smart ideas. As
usual, it looks like simplest is best.

--
Tim:>

p.s. Perhaps I should be relieved no one tried to sell me an SDN peering
transit theft controller...