nanog mailing list archives

Re: upstream support for flowspec

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:35:17 -0700

On 9/18/14 1:19 PM, Job Snijders wrote:
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 03:12:29PM -0400, Daniel Corbe wrote:

a) you're paying less, as you're not receiving the traffic

This ventures into the realm of an operator doing something responsible
to protect me vs routing me unwanted traffic and going "lol, bill."

If you want to start playing that game, I'm happy to pay more per mbit
of traffic if you're happy to guarantee me that you won't route me
traffic that I'm expressly uninterested in.

Would you be willing to pay for the traffic _not_ delivered to you
because of customer-pushed ACLs? If so, that would take the argument
away "because we filter we can't bill". Would you be willing to pay a
premium to be able to do so? Is it worth a premium to insert ACLs in
real time in the upstream's network or is a 2 hour delay acceptable?
what about 5 minute delay?

It's not really a question we have to ask. Managed firewall services
have way higher margins then pure IP transit. By extension dropping
packets can be substantially more profitable especially on a per packet
or byte basis then delivering them. Not everyone wants that service however.

Aside from practical issues with flowspec as Ytti mentioned already, I
don't think the market has yet figured out how stuff like this should
work and become cost-effective.

Ah cost effective is a consideration, yeah that is a bit of a bummer.

Kind regards,

Job