nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:10:20 -0400

Jay Ashworth wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Adams" <cma () cmadams net>
Once upon a time, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> said:
"Try to do everything *inside PID 1*" is the real problem.
And that is not what systemd is doing; make sure you know what you are
complaining about. systemd-the-project != systemd-the-pid-1. PID 1 is
responsible for managing services/daemons, and AFAIK that's all
systemd's PID 1 does.
Indeed.  I was quoting (I thought) better read people than me.  If that's the
case, I retract about 25% of my distaste for it.

Well, yeah... but there's this huge (and growing) network of interlocking dependencies, and, at least at the moment, no way to avoid installing systemd as PID1 during a fresh Debian install (no installer choice, and a bug in debootstrap that prevents preseeding). So, yes, you can uninstall systemd as PID1, but it sure seems to be rather difficult.

Miles Fidelman