nanog mailing list archives

Re: Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3)

From: Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:27:15 -0400

Michael,

I didn't claim Webrtc is vapor, I claim that pervasive video calling is
vapor.  Further, even if that prediction is wrong pervasive video calling
isn't enough even if 100% of users adopt it to swing the need for
symmetrical bandwidth.  An average Skype/Google Hangout/Apple is less than
400 kbps at peak and averages something like 150 kbps.

http://www.digitalsociety.org/2010/08/iphone-facetime-bandwidth-gets-measured/

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum