nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opensource tools for inventory and troubleticketing

From: Mike <ispbuilder () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:12:48 -0400

On 14-01-28 11:08 AM, Alexander Bochmann wrote:
...on Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:37:14AM +0100, Octavio Alfageme wrote:

 > network, but we are starting to need a better inventory of services and network
 > resources and better troubleticketing procedures. We can not afford acquiring

For the inventory and documentation part, Netdot is pretty cool:
https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot/wiki
Netdot is awesome, single set of VLANs and address ranges aside. If your
switches / devices support all the proper SNMP MIBs, it will draw your
network topology for you.

As for ticketing, around here quite a few people are using OTRS
(http://otrs.org/) - but I have no experience with that myself.
Something like Redmine should be more leightweight and will probably
do the job too...

I've heard good things about OTRS but my personal favorite is Request
Tracker (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/). It can be a bit daunting to
get running the first time due to the sheer number of perl modules
required, I'm always happy to help if anyone needs a hand getting it
working.

--
Looking for (employment|contract) work in the
Internet industry, preferably working remotely.