nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN's RPKI Relying agreement

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 11:33:48 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ca By" <cb.list6 () gmail com>

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net> wrote:

All the specific legal feedback I’ve heard is that this is a
liability
nightmare, and that everyone wants ARIN to take on all the
liability, but
nobody wants to pay for it. Are you hearing something more useful
than that?

This is the same legal feedback most lawyers will give you about
settlement free peering as well.

And this delightfully illustrates what IMG's Mark MacCormack is pleased
to call "the Terrible Truth About Lawyers", to wit:

Lawyers believe that their job is to tell you what not to do.

Their *actual job* is to tell where risks lie, so that you can make
informed business decisions about which risks to take, and how to
allow for them.

If you as a businessman believe the lawyers' point of view, though,
you will never accomplish anything.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com