nanog mailing list archives

Re: So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:55:32 -0700

Apologies for replying to my own post, but... below:

On 8/13/2014 7:05 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

On 8/13/2014 6:52 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:

Am I overly cynical, or does this all work out perfectly for
some vendors? I'm guessing that a certain vendor is going to see
a huge number of orders for new equipment, for an event that
could have been (and was) easily predicted... "Here, buy my
widget... and then you'll come back in a few years and buy
another one.. <mwahahahah>". Yup, folk purchasing these *should*
have known (not like there was no discussions of this), but,
well, not everyone spends all day reading NANOG / RIPE / CIDR
report...

I am not an operator, but I used to be a *really* active routing
engineer once upon a time in the stone age :-) and what really
bothers me is the serious lack of general awareness on the issue of
routing table size, aggregation, and stability, and what effect it
has on the global Internet.

Especially questions like this:

"Is it time to switch to all IPv6 yet?"

http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/08/13/0048244/the-ipv4-internet-hiccups

 If anyone *seriously* believes that IPv6 will have any positive
effect on this particular issue, you are sorely misinformed. If
anything, it will make the problem worse, since the ability to "get
aggregation wrong" will be much easier.

I'm not being cynical, I'm being a realist. :-/

- ferg

p.s. I recall some IPv6 prefix growth routing projections by Vince
Fuller and Tony Li from several years ago which illustrated this,
but cannot find a reference at the moment....

I found it:

"Scaling issues with ipv6 routing+multihoming"
Vince Fuller, Cisco Systems
http://iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2011/03/vaf-iab-raws.pdf

I think the slides [above] were done for an IAB routing workshop in ~2006.

Also:

"Scaling of Internet Routing and Addressing: past view, present
reality,and possible futures"
Vince Fuller, Cisco Systems
http://www.vaf.net/~vaf/apricot­workshop.pdf

FYI,

- - ferg

- --
Paul Ferguson
VP Threat Intelligence, IID
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2