nanog mailing list archives

Re: So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil () semihuman com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:20:16 -0700

Pruning FIB entries, on the other hand, can be done quite safely as
long as you're willing to accept the conversion of "null route" to
"don't care." Some experiments were done on this in the IETF a couple
years back. Draft-zhang-fibaggregation maybe? Savings of 30% in
typical backbone nodes looked possible. That's 30% of your TCAM
reclaimable.

Hence the “when programming the TCAM” part of my original statement :)

For the moment it seems to be cheaper to just build bigger TCAMs.
Cheaper for the router vendors anyway.

I think of it more like “why spend development dollars on a feature that will cause my customers to keep their existing
hardware longer and delay upgrades?” Yes, vendors do think like that.

-C

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?