nanog mailing list archives

Re: Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:11:04 -0700

Lee Howard:

So, yeah, you have to give your firewall administrator time to walk
through the rules and figure out what they ought to be in IPv6.  Your
firewall administrator has been wanting to clean up the rules for the last
two years, anyway.

The arrogance in this assertion is amazing.

You're describing best practice.  Yes, of course, you should have well
documented technical and business needs for what's open and what's closed
in firewalls, and should have traceability from the rules in place to the
requirements, and be able to walk the rules and understand them and
reinterpret them from v4 to v6, to a new firewall vendor, etc etc.

Again - THE INERTIA IN REAL ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENTS SAYS OTHERWISE.

Policymakers baldly asserting that it should be otherwise does not change
reality on the ground in numerous enterprise customers.

You and the others are ascribing to me and William blame for this.  Shoot
the messenger all you want; all we're doing it relaying on why we've failed
to convert all our customers.  It's not because we don't understand
firewalls or v6.  It's because the real world is substantially messier,
often man-decades of work messier than you all assert it could possibly be.

Again - policy community blinders on understanding what real systems are
like out in the world has repeatedly shot the conversion in the legs.  If
you're going to start floating standards for this kind of stuff, then
listen to feedback on why things are failing.