nanog mailing list archives

Re: whoami.akamai.net [was: Google Public DNS Problems?]

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 14:57:46 -0400

On 2013-05-02, at 11:59, Charles Gucker <cgucker () onesc net> wrote:

  That's not entirely true.    You can easily do lookup for
whoami.akamai.net and it will return the unicast address for the node
in question (provided the local resolver is able to do the
resolution).    This is a frequent lookup that I do when I don't know
what actual anycast node I'm using.

Using 8.8.8.8 to tell me about whoami.akamai.net tells me what Akamai
authoritative server Google last used to answer that query.

Oh, now that I poke at it, it seems like whoami.akamai.net is telling
me about the address of the resolver I used, rather than the address of the
akamai node I hit.

Never mind, I understand now :-)

For clarity: Looking up the hostname "whoami.akamai.net" will return the
IP address in the source field of the packet (DNS query) which reached the
authoritative name server for Akamai.net.

We use this to look for forwarding or proxying, which is frequently
unknown / invisible to the end user.

It has the side-effect that querying against an anycast server (e.g.
208.67.222.222 or 8.8.8.8) will show the unicast address of the anycast
node which forwarded to our servers.

'the unicast address of the exit for upstream/cache-fill lookups' .. since
the topology behind the anycast node isn't necessarily:
    internet -> anycast-ip -|host|- unicast-ip ...

there could be some networking between |host| and the outside world, or
other things going on.

anyway... nit-picking-aside, cool that there's a way to figure this sort of
thing out :)
google has a similar method, which I can't find today :( <darn
webcrawler!!!>