nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google Public DNS Problems?

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:55:30 -0400

On 2013-05-02, at 11:51, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

But since Perry's problem is *inability to resolve names in google's
public zones*, the *path to the ZONE servers* is the thing diagnostics
would require a trace to, no?

Blair's problem, I think. Perry was just being helpful. Blair's point was that if Google DNS is not able to resolve
Google domains, then you know something is wrong.

If 8.8.8.8 doesn't *answer* for "google.com" (and no one's told me it
has), then how you get there is irrelevant.

Well, if you're trying to troubleshoot the performance or functionality of a service that is deployed using anycast,
knowing what anycast node is giving problems is pretty useful. I say this as someone who has to help troubleshoot
problems with anycast DNS services pretty regularly.

Since there's no obvious way (in the draft-jabley-dnsop-anycast-mapping sense) to identify a Google DNS anycast node
in-band, traceroute and RTT are pretty much what we're left with.

Joe