nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google Public DNS Problems?

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:12:46 -0400

On 2013-05-02, at 11:59, Charles Gucker <cgucker () onesc net> wrote:

   That's not entirely true.    You can easily do lookup for
whoami.akamai.net and it will return the unicast address for the node
in question (provided the local resolver is able to do the
resolution).    This is a frequent lookup that I do when I don't know
what actual anycast node I'm using.

Using 8.8.8.8 to tell me about whoami.akamai.net tells me what Akamai authoritative server Google last used to answer
that query.

Oh, now that I poke at it, it seems like whoami.akamai.net is telling me about the address of the resolver I used,
rather than the address of the akamai node I hit.

Never mind, I understand now :-)

Joe