nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is multihoming hard? [was: DNS amplification]

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:26:09 -0400

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
However, a locator/id separation without map/encap is a
desirable thing that could allow the routing system to
scale better. Unfortunately, we failed to address this
issue when designing IPv6. It will not get correctly solved
without a revision to the header design. There is no will
to change the packet header in the near future. We're
having too much "fun" rolling out the current one.

Hi Owen,

Right problem, wrong part of the problem. As is, the IPv6 layer 3
headers have plenty of bits to do a dandy job in a loc/id separation
scheme: merely strip the ID function from the IP address and push it
up the stack to layer 4.

The crux of the problem, then, is that ID should be maintained by the
layer 4 protocol with a dynamic and changeable mapping to the layer 3
locator. We don't need a new IP. We need a new TCP.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004