nanog mailing list archives

Re: [c-nsp] DNS amplification

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:54:37 -0400

On 2013-03-18, at 08:53, Arturo Servin <arturo.servin () gmail com> wrote:

      And about the routing table size, it is not multihomed sites the
offenders, it is large ISPs fragmenting because of traffic engineering
or because lack of BGP knowledge.

The usual concern with multi-homed end sites is that end sites with IPv4 PA addresses assigned from provider X who wish
to multi-home with provider Y wind up adding at least two entries to the global table, a more specific route to each of
X and Y (which X will need to leak beneath the covering supernet if it wants to deliver the customer any traffic).

I don't know of any recent analysis which differentiates between this multi-homing pressure on the global table vs.
inter-domain traffic engineering or gratuitous deaggregation, but it's fair to say I have not been looking.

Joe