nanog mailing list archives

Re: WW: Bruce Schneier on why security can't work

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:07:14 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "." <oscar.vives () gmail com>

This is a problem for the future to solve. Not us.

Seriously?

In bioweapons, I think we are still on the "happy hackers era", where
people in a biochemical laboratory in Liverpool have access to some
fungus that can wipe half the city, but don't do, because have a lot
of fun studying the fungus to learn new antibiotics, or maybe to cure
baldness. Scientist are, of course, hackers. Fun people that make
this question: Exploitability. Can this fungus be used to cure
baldness? Can this fungus be exploited to remove plastic from our
oceans?.

Exploitablity is a fun good word, and I never see a person like Bruce
Schneier talk about it (how fucking awesome is exploitability). So
reading people like Bruce Schneier you only get half the picture.
We exist only because the carbon based chemistry is exploitable to the
x900000. If carbon where less exploitable, like silice, maybe life
will not exist. Similary, maybe you need exploitability to have a
internet.

You very well might.  But never before have the stakes been this high.

As Spenser is so fond of quoting Clausewitz: you plan not for your
enemy's intentions, but for his capabilities.

In the next 3 years, it will become possible to build an autonomously
navigating aircraft that can a) cross the Atlantic and b) carry a
nuclear weapon.

The surveillance someone advocates in another posting won't help you
there; your first warning will be "Manhattan goes boom".

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com