nanog mailing list archives

Re: huawei (ZTE too)

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:32:28 -0400

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net> wrote:
They are playing our love of "But Wait There's More!". Give us everything at
deep discounts or for free and receive direct access to the core of every
major telecom company on the planet.  For a few hundred million dollars the
Chinese government has intelligence on anyone or anything world wide, and
their agents are welcomed with open arms.

both cisco and juniper do this as well.. with phone-home full
show-tech-equivalent data collection systems... all pushed into an
internal DB ready for marketing/etc...

I'm sure other vendors (ALU/etc) all do this as well... the addition
of 'Dedicated Support Engineers' sitting in your faciltiy is neat, but
also not 'new' wrt cisco/juniper.

(I also happen to think that this is probably the method most likely
used to exfil data of interest)