nanog mailing list archives

Re: huawei

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:35:48 -0400

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:28 , "Avi Freedman" <avi () freedman net> wrote:

I disagree.

There have already been lab demos of sfps that could inject frames and APTs are pretty advanced, sinister, and can be
hard to detect now.

I'm not suggesting Huawei is or isn't enabling badness globally but I think it would be technically feasible.

I am assuming a not-Hauwei-only network.

The idea that a router could send things through other routers without someone who is looking for it noticing is
ludicrous.

Of course, most people aren't paying attention, a few extra frames wouldn't be noticed most likely. But if you are
worried about it, you should be looking.

Also, I find it difficult to believe Hauwei has the ability to do DPI or something inside their box and still route at
reasonable speeds is a bit silly. Perhaps they only duplicate packets based on source/dest IP address or something that
is magically messaged from the mother ship, but I am dubious.

It should be trivial to prove to yourself the box is, or is not, doing something evil if you actually try.

--
TTFN,
patrick