nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slashdot: UK ISP PlusNet Testing Carrier-Grade NAT Instead of IPv6

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:02:07 -0800

On 18 January 2013 14:00, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Jean-Francois Mezei
<jfmezei_nanog () vaxination ca> wrote:
Should NAT become prevalent and prevent innovation because of its
limitations, this means that innovation will happen only with IPv6 which
means the next "must have" viral applications will require IPv6 and this
may spur the move away from an IPv4 that has been crippled by NAT
everywhere.

It won't happen and I'll tell you why not.

Client to client communication block diagrams:

Without NAT:
Client->Router->Router->Router->Router->Router->Client

With NAT:
Client->Router->Router->Relay->Router->Router->Client

At a high level, the two communication diagrams are virtually identical.

Add killer app. By it's nature, a killer app is something folks will
pay good money for. This means that 100% of killer apps have
sufficient funding to install those specialty relays.

Odds of a killer app where one router can't be replaced with a
specialty relay while maintaining the intended function: not bloody
likely.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

The killer app of the internet is called p2p.

Don't we already have a shortage of IPv4 addresses to start abandoning
p2p, and requiring every service to be server-based, wasting extra
precious IPv4 addresses?

Where's the logic behind this:  make it impossible for two computers
to community directly because we have a shortage of addresses, yet
introduce a third machine with, again, rather limited resources, to
waste another IPv4 address?  Wasting all kinds of extra resources and
adding extra latency?  That's not a killer app, that's the
inefficiency of capitalism.

C.