nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slashdot: UK ISP PlusNet Testing Carrier-Grade NAT Instead of IPv6

From: Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:20:19 -0500

On 1/17/13 6:21 PM, "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org> wrote:
On 1/17/13 9:54 AM, "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:06 AM, . <oscar.vives () gmail com> wrote:
The people on this list have a influence in how the Internet run, hope
somebody smart can figure how we can avoid going there, because there
is frustrating and unfun.

"Free network-based firewall to be installed next month. OPT OUT HERE
if you don't want it."

I haven't heard anyone talking about carrier-grade firewalls.  To make
CGN
work a little, you have to enable full-cone NAT, which means as long as
you're connected to anything on IPv4, anyone can reach you (and for a
timeout period after that).  And most CGN wireline deployments will have
some kind of bulk port assignment, so the same ports always go to the
same
users.  NAT != security, and if you try to make it, you will lose more
customers than I predicted.

Hi Lee,

Then it's a firewall that mildly enhances protection by obstructing
90% of the port scanning attacks which happen against your computer.
It's a free country so you're welcome to believe that the presence or
absence of NAT has no impact on the probability of a given machine
being compromised. Of course, you're also welcome to join the flat
earth society. As for me, the causative relationship between the rise
of the "DSL router" implementing negligible security except NAT and
the fall of port scanning as a credible attack vector seems blatant
enough.

CGNs are not identical to home NAT functionality.  Home NATs are
frequently restricted cone NATs, which is why uPNP or manual
port-forwarding are required.  CGNs for residential deployments are full
cone NATs, so that this problematic applications are less problematic.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation  and
draft-donley-nat444-impacts.

It's not a hard problem. There are yet plenty of IPv4 addresses to go
around for all the people who actually care whether or not they're
behind a NAT.

I doubt that very much, and look forward to your analysis supporting
that
statement.

If you have the data I'll be happy to crunch it but I'm afraid I'll
have to leave the data collection to someone who is paid to do that
very exhaustive work.

I don't have any data that might support your assertion, which is why I'm
calling you on it.

Nevertheless, I'll be happy to document my assumptions and show you
where they lead.

I assume that fewer than 1 in 10 eyeballs would find Internet service
behind a NAT unsatisfactory. Eyeballs are the consumers of content,
the modem, cable modem, residential DSL customers. Some few of them
are running game servers, web servers, etc. but 9 in 10 are the email,
vonage and netflix variety who are basically not impacted by NAT.

Netflix seems to have some funny interactions with some gateways and CGN.
[nat444-impacts]
What about p2p?

I assume that 75% or more of the IPv4 addresses which are employed in
any use (not sitting idle) are employed by eyeball customers. Verizon
Wireless has - remind me - how many /8's compared to, say, Google?

The same number: 0.
I don't know how many addresses VZW has, but I could look it up in Whois
if I knew the orgID.
How'd you get 75%?

If you count from the explosion of interest in the Internet in 1995 to
now, it took 18 years to consume all the IPv4 addresses. Call it
consumption of 1/18th of the address space per year.

You're going with linear growth?  See nro.net/statistics.

Is it more like 1 in 5 customers would cough up
an extra $5 rather than use a NAT address? The nearest comparable
would be your ratio of dynamic to static IP assignments. Does your
data support that being higher than 1 in 10? I'd bet the broad data
sets don't.

If an ISP is so close to running out of addresses that they need CGN,
let's say they have 1 year of addresses remaining.  Given how many ports
apps use, recommendations are running to 10:1 user:address (but I could
well imagine that increasing to 50:1).  That means that for every user you
NAT, you get 1/10 of an address.
Example:  An 10,000-user ISP is growing at 10% annually.  They have 1,000
addresses left, so they implement CGN.  You say to assuming 90% of them
can be NATted, so next year, 100 get a unique IPv4 address, the other 900
share 90 addresses.  At 190 addresses per year, CGN bought you five years.

I think your 90% is high.  If it's 70%, you burn 370 per year.
That doesn't include the fact the increased support costs, or alienated
customer cancellations, or any of the stuff I talked about in TCO of CGN.

Lee