nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:16:41 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Helms" <khelms () zcorum com>

Owen
I think the confusion I have is that you seem to want to create solutions
for problems that have already been solved. There is no cost effective
method of sharing a network at layer 1 since DWDM is expensive and requires
compatible gear on both sides and no one has enough fiber (nor is cheap
enough in brand new builds) to simply home run every home and maintain
that.

That's my fundamental design assumption, and you're the first person to
throw a flag on it.  I'm hearing $700 per passing and $600 per sub; those
seem sustainable numbers for a 30 year service life amortization.

I'm not yet 100% clear if that's layer 1 only or layer 2 agg as well.

[ And note that for me, it's practical; most everyone else is merely
along for the ride. ]

      ISPs that would want to use the shared network in general (>95%
in my experience) don't want to maintain the access gear and since there
is no clear way to delineate responsibilities when there is an issue its
hard.

You're talking about what I'm calling L2 clients.  If layer 2 falls over
it's my fault, and believe me, I'll know about it.

The long and short of it is lots of people have tried to L1 sharing
and its
not economical and nothing I've seen here or elsewhere changes that.

You just changed gears again, no?

I'm not trying to share L1 *drops*.  I'm trying to make it possible
to share *the entire L1 deployment between providers*, a drop at a time.

The thing you have to remember is that muni networks have to be cost
effective
and that's not just the capital costs. The operational cost in the long
term is much greater than the cost of initial gear and fiber install.

Depends on what you're trying to do.  But yes, I do know the difference
between CAPEX and OPEX.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com