nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:04:10 -0800

On Feb 2, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen () leitl org> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 04:43:56PM -0800, Leo Bicknell wrote:

The only place PON made any sense to me was extreme rural areas.
If you could go 20km to a splitter and then hit 32 homes ~1km away
(52km fiber pair length total), that was a win.  If the homes are
2km from the CO, 32 pair (64km fiber pair length total) of home
runs was cheaper than the savings on fiber, and then the cost of
GPON splitters and equipment.  I'm trying to figure out if my assessment
is correct or not...

Is there any specific reason why muni networks don't use 1-10 GBit
fiber mesh, using L3 switches in DSLAMs on every street corner?

Well, one reason is that, IMHO, the goal here is to provide a flexible
L1 platform that will allow multiple competing providers a low barrier
to entry to provide a multitude of competitive services.

Owen