nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Warren Bailey <wbailey () satelliteintelligencegroup com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:42:50 +0000

Check out GCI's Terranet project.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Stephen Sprunk <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: 02/11/2013 4:37 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

On 11-Feb-13 18:23, Warren Bailey wrote:

On 2/11/13 4:16 PM, "Masataka Ohta" <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:
Scott Helms wrote:
IMO if you can't pay for the initial build quickly and run it efficiently then your chances of long term success
are very low.
That is not a business model for infrastructure such as gas, electricity, CATV, water and fiber network, all of
which need long term planning and investments.
Nearly all of the industries you mentioned below receive some type of local or federal/government funding. If I was
going to build some kind of access network, I would be banging on the .gov door asking for grants and low interest
loans to help roll out broadband to remote areas.
I followed the link in a recent email here to the details on the Maine Fiber Co, and their web site indicates they got
started with $7M in private funding--and a $25M grant from the feds for improving service to rural areas.  That
radically changes the economics, just as I'm sure it did for other utilities.