nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 12:54:22 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Ross" <bross () pobox com>

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Jay Ashworth wrote:

Available Providers.

The City, remember, won't be doing L3, so we'd need to find someone
who was doing that. You know how big a job it is to be a cable company?

I would think in this model that the city would be prohibited from
providing those services.

That is what I just said, yes, Brandon: the City would offer L1 optical
home-run connectivity and optional L2 transport and aggregation with
Ethernet provider hand-off, and nothing at any higher layers.

Perhaps I live in a different world, but just about all of the small to
midsize service providers I work with offer triple play today, and nearly
all of them are migrating their triple play services to IP.

Really.  Citations?  I'd love to see it play that way, myself.

If rural telco in Alabama or Mississippi can deliver triple play, surely a
larger provider somewhere like NYC can do as well, no?

Well, I ain't no NYC, but... :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com