nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:39:13 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog () vaxination ca>

Subscribers don't care if the hand off is at layer 1 or layer 2 so
this is moot as well.

This is where one has to be carefull. The wholesale scenario in Canada
leaves indepdendant ISPs having to explain to their customers that they
can't fix certain problems and that they must call the telco/cableco to
get it fixed. (in the case of a certain cable company, they can't even
call them, it has to be done by email with response of at least 48
hours).

Yes, and Scott is *horribly* pessimistic (in my opinion) about how
difficult it will be to have ISP clients who a) understand this and b)
don't tolerate it.  I will have more to say on this below.

Another aspect: customers espect to be able to switch seamlessly from
one ISP to the next. But ISP-2 can't take over from ISP-1 until ISP-1
has relinquised control over the line to the end user. In a layer 1
scenario, it means ISP-1 has to physically go and deinstall their CPE
and disconnect strand from their OLT, and then ISP-2 can do the
reverse and reconnect evrything to provide services.

What happens when ISP-1 isn't interested in a quick disconnect and
ISP-2 has to wait days/weeks with end use without service ?

What happens is that they tell us, the hometown fiber network operator
that they're switching to ISP-2, who has already put in their own Take
order to us, and we splash cut the pair, with no responsibility to ISP-1
whose contract warns them that *our residents* take priority, and if they
screw up, they'll lose by it.  Customer happy, and foot-dragging ISP --
who should -- takes the brunt.  They do it too much, they pay.

In a layer2 service, it is a matter of reconfiguring the OLT to pass
ethernet packets to a different VLAN to a different ISP. No physical
changes required and it can be almost tranparent to the end user who
just has to make a new DHCP request and be provisioned by ISP-2.

Yes, and that's why my *primary* goal will be to provide L2 service
with city-owned ONTs.  Making sure the plant is L1 *compliant* is my
secondary goal, so I don't lock out PtP or L1 clients.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com