nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 07:56:50 +0900

Jay Ashworth wrote:

In a layer 1
scenario, it means ISP-1 has to physically go and deinstall their
CPE
and disconnect strand from their OLT, and then ISP-2 can do the
reverse
and reconnect evrything to provide services.

No. Just say optical MDF.

Doesn't preclude the need to swap different models of ONTs.

No different from competing ISPs using DSL or PON.

What happens when ISP-1 isn't interested in a quick disconnect and
ISP-2
has to wait days/weeks with end use without service ?

You assume ISP-1 quickly stop servicing the end user, don't you?

I assume everyone will behave, because they're all *the customers of
me, the municipality*, and they have a vested interest in being good
actors.

So, if the city is the MDF operator, L1 configuration should
change almost immediately.

Again, *the city* is the OLT operator, in a L2 scenario, and I will
flip the customer over almost immediately.

See above.

                                                Masataka Ohta