nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Making of a Router

From: Nick Cameo <symack () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 15:52:18 -0500

On 12/26/13, Faisal Imtiaz <faisal () snappytelecom net> wrote:
I am a believer of not having to re-invent the wheel...

Having said that.. have you looked at 'purpose built appliances'  e.g.

http://www.lannerinc.com/
http://us.axiomtek.com/

If you are looking for a full router....
Consider such as these...
   http://www.linktechs.net/
   http://www.maxxwave.com/

and there are a few others but the concept is the same

Personally, I am not a believer in making a single device be the do all /
end all of everything..
While one can do everything on a big server .. however breaking things out
e.g. voip trans-coding and routing make maintenance, availability, and
ability to create redundancy much more practical.

Point taken! Transcoding tasks abstracted out :).

N.