nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP from Juniper to Cisco ASR

From: Pedro Cavaca <pmsac.nanog () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:54:22 +0000

On 18 December 2013 15:48, Philip Lavine <source_route () yahoo com> wrote:

Dec 18 07:46:33: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor <REMOTE PEER>
active 2/5 (authentication failure) 0 bytes
Dec 18 15:46:33.615: BGP: ses global <REMOTE PEER> (0x7FB1CD209CF0:0) act
Receive NOTIFICATION 2/5 (authentication failure) 0 bytes

Although I have seem this on the message boards I am little confused in
that the ISP is telling me that there is no authentication enabled on the
Juniper and I do not have authentication enabled on the ASR. So what is
going on here?

That's an error during the Open phase, so it can't be related to any MD5
authentication configuration - which is absent, as you say so yourself.

Make sure you're trying to initiate the BGP session from the right IP
address (eventually needing to use "neighbor X update-source <interface>")
and that their configuration matches your address correctly (i.e., they
have the right address on your side, without any typos on their
configuration).

It probably wouldn't hurt to confirm they have your peering session
configured as "type external".

HTH.