nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast contact

From: James M Keller <jmkeller () houseofzen org>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 21:42:24 -0400

On 8/6/2013 11:56 AM, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:
Any chance someone on this list is affiliated with Comcast who could contact me off-list?  I have an employee in
Virginia who works from home using, in part, a VOIP desk telephone tied into our office phone system back in
Nebraska.  She's had nothing but problems maintaining a stable connection and I'm at my wit's end to diagnose and fix
whatever is causing her problems.

I've got this exact setup with several employees around the country, but this one person is the only one who, 1 - has
problems and 2 - has Comcast.

Much appreciated!

----
Andy Ringsmuth
andy () newslink com
News Link – Manager Technology & Facilities
2201 Winthrop Rd., Lincoln, NE 68502-4158
(402) 475-6397    (402) 304-0083 cellular

I have found Comcast rate shapes or resets long running encrypted
sessions such as https.   At $DAYJOB I had to set our SSL VPN system to
re-key via new-tunnels every 5 minutes to keep it under their threshold
of what looks like seven minutes for a tcp session.   After that the
sessions appeared to rate shape down to 128kbps.  It may also only kick
in during local POP congestion.   I am assuming this is DPI trying to do
peer-2-peer mitigation.

---
James M Keller