nanog mailing list archives

Re: RPKI and Trust Anchor question

From: Marcel Plug <marcelplug () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:53:48 -0400

Thanks for your detailed response John.  Further comments inline.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM, John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:

  So, Marcel, please allow me to turn the question around...  Do you
  do you believe that there should be an RPKI Global Trust Anchor?
  Are you concerned about the potential aggregation of control and
  risk that may result? (Feel free to answer me privately if you
  would prefer.)

Having a single root seems like the right way to go.  There will always be
the threat (real or imagined) of outside interference.  For that reason I'm
sure there will be a small droid army of independent systems monitoring and
studying every change the Global Trust Anchor makes - ready to sound the
alarm.  It's probably easier to keep an eye on one trust anchor than it is
to monitor 5 of them.

All the other arguments I've heard are in favour of a one-TA system so I
won't repeat them.

  At the point in time when we understand the technical architecture
  being proposed and its implications, we will formally poll the ARIN
  and NANOG community on the question of whether there is support for
  having an RPKI Global Trust Anchor.  My best estimate is that this
  will occur near the end of this year, but there's nothing wrong with
  having some discussion in the meantime if the mailing list is otherwise
  quiet.  :-)

I hope this provides some insight - thank you for asking about it,
as it has been too long since any status update on this project
(I will work on that as well for the very near future.)

As I said, thanks for the update.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran