nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:59:12 +0200

* woody () pch net (Bill Woodcock) [Wed 21 Aug 2013, 21:04 CEST]:
[..]
On Aug 21, 2013, at 10:27 AM, "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <wmaton () ottix net> wrote:
[..]
My anxiety lies with the future: Given everything that's already been written, are any of these IXPs capable of becoming self-sustaining in the future? It's a rhetorical question applicable to any starting IXP.

Indeed. I think that ISPs who understand their business model well enough to understand the effect the IXP will have on their average-per-bit-delivery-cost is essential. I think it's also essential that they have some basic familiarity with the different ways IXPs can fail, or fail to thrive, so that they can avoid mistakes others have made in the past. Over-spending, particularly on switches, is a huge killer of IXPs. Under-provisioning of circuits to the IXP is another big mistake. Failure to encourage local content and hosting is another.

Can you cite a few examples of an IXP going under because of overspending on switch hardware? You call this a "huge killer" so there must be dozens you can choose from.

        -- Niels.

--
"It's amazing what people will do to get their name on the internet, which is odd, because all you really need is a Blogspot account."
                        -- roy edroso, alicublog.blogspot.com