nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

From: John Osmon <josmon () rigozsaurus com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:47:01 -0600

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:10:32PM -0400, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Clayton Zekelman wrote:

Just wondering aloud if an ISP that did have commercial interest
could run a non-member driven exchange point successfully as long
as they had pricing and policies that were similar to member
driven exchange points.

Verrrry interesting that you raise that.

IIRC, Albuquerque has NMIX which I think was setup as for-profit.
(John Brown are you still here?)  Well over a decade ago now, my
recollection is fuzzy.  I don't recall the reasoning in choosing
for-profit over nont-for-profit.

NMIX was a group of NM ISPs on a shared router at (last of?) the local
feeders into what was once WestNet in the NSF days.  It had a local NNTP
server and (I believe) a couple of other services.  It was useful back
in the days when you could plumb some T1s to an AGS+ and make people
happy.

Mr. Brown's attempt at an exchange (IXNM) lasted about 8 years, and can
probably be counted as an example of failure for such a model.  The
political side overwhelmed any technical advantage in Albuquerque.

While it never became an importan IX, from the outside it looked like it
was a successful bandwidth co-op with several local ISPs buying from it
and benefiting from the local connectivity.

Perhaps others can make a go at it?