nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 address length technical design

From: Cutler James R <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 19:10:04 -0400

On Oct 3, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc2 () dcrocker net> wrote:
Is anyone aware of any historical documentation relating to the
choice of 32
bits for an IPv4 address?
Actually that was preceded by RFC 760, which in turn was a derivative
of IEN 123. I believe the answer to the original question is

My theory is that there is a meta-rule to make new address spaces have 4
times as many bits as the previous generation.

We have three data points to establish this for the Internet, and that's
the minimum needed to run a correlation:  Arpanet, IPv4, IPv6...

d/

Didn't work for DecNet Phase III, Decnet Phase IV, Decnet Phase V (8, 16, 128).