nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operation Ghost Click

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:10:28 -0700

Sean Harlow wrote:
Then you'll be happy to know that most VoIP phones default to and good VoIP providers gladly support G.711, the exact same codec
used in all digital trunks in the POTS network.  Also, an on-the-ball VoIP carrier will be pushing G.722 "HD Voice" devices
which offer about double the audio bandwidth in the same data bandwidth (64kbit/sec/stream) as G.711.

Technical specs aside I believe you are mistaken with regards to the actual every day reality. My experience (and anyone else I talked to) calling to and from mobile phones has been 100% a bad one with regards to audio quality. I know the bandwidth allows for better quality, but carriers don't do it, they do the opposite.

Why else would a mobile phone carrier feel the need to advertise an "HD" (shouldn't it be "HIFI"?) quality line (i.e. a quality that's standard with every land line and already suboptimal):

"Sprint Brings HD Voice Calls to U.S."

Whatever...

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.0