nanog mailing list archives

Re: rpki vs. secure dns?

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:21:35 -0700

On May 29, 2012, at 4:02 AM, paul vixie wrote:
i can tell more than that. rover is a system that only works at all
when everything everywhere is working well, and when changes always
come in perfect time-order,
Exactly like DNSSEC.

no. dnssec for a response only needs that response's delegation and
signing path to work, not "everything everywhere".

My impression was that ROVER does not need "everything, everywhere" to work to fetch the routing information for a
particular prefix -- it merely needs sufficient routing information to follow the delegation and signing path for the
prefix it is looking up. However, I'll admit I haven't looked into this in any particular depth so I'm probably wrong.

Regards,
-drc