nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:00:32 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <mike () mtcc com>

VZ wants to get rid of their copper plant. It's expensive to
maintain, and it requires that they sell service to competitors.
Once they've disconnected their customers from it, they can just
eliminate the copper plant. POTS service which ILECs provide, is
basically copper service. So once the copper is gone, they are no
longer in the heavily regulated POTS business. The result being,
they can do whatever they want.

I can understand their motivation if what Jay writes is incorrect. My
guess is that Jay may be correct technically, but VZ does it anyway
because they figure they can get away with it.

Someone tells me off list that indeed, if the plant isn't *there*, VZN
isn't required to build it.

Now, if that's the case, then they can't adminstratively block *someone
else* from building it, either...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com