nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: Bret Clark <bclark () spectraaccess com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:56:04 -0400

On 07/10/2012 03:32 AM, goemon () anime net wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
William Herrin wrote:
This is, incidentally, is a detail I'd love for one of the candidates
to offer in response to that question. Bonus points if you discuss MSS
clamping and RFC 4821.

The less precise answer, path MTU discovery breaks, is just fine.
I would say that the ability to quickly understand, troubleshoot and find a
solution to a problem (and document it) is a far better skill to have than
having ready made answers to interview questions learned by heart.

It should take a skilled person less than 30 minutes to find the answer to
that question and understand it too. The importance of knowing many things by
heart has become incredibly moot.
If you are applying for a network position, you better know the *basics*.
Having to look up the basics is not a good sign.

Do you really want to hire someone who is going to have to look up basic
networking concepts for 30 minutes every time they are in a meeting and
asked a question?

-Dan

Hence the reason he mentioned "skilled" person...