nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 19:37:02 -0700

On Jul 5, 2012, at 6:28 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, William Herrin wrote:

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I would use questions such as the following:

1.      How many end-sites can be numbered from a single /32.
               (Correct answers: IPv4 - 1, IPv6 - 65,536)

IPv6 - 16,777,216 to 268,435,456 :p

I'd accept those if I was willing to send the candidate to rational IPv6 networking re-education camp.
If I expected the candidate to be able to do real work immediately, I would require the correct answer
as specified above.

Assigning a /56 to an end-site is bad juju. Assigning a /60 is pure useless evil.

5.      What is the reason for the 100m distance limit within an ethernet collision domain?

What's an ethernet collision domain? Seriously, when was the last time
you dealt with a half duplex ethernet?

You've never (much less recently) seen a customer misconfigure their end of an ethernet handoff such that you end up
with duplex mismatch? Granted, in that case, distance is irrelevant...but it is half half-duplex ethernet :)

Either way, the collision domain itself is irrelevant to the question at hand... The important thing is to find out
that the candidate understands what an ethernet pre-amble is and why it is important.

Owen