nanog mailing list archives

Re: juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

From: Mark Tinka <mtinka () globaltransit net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:08:53 +0800

On Friday, January 20, 2012 05:40:10 AM Leigh Porter wrote:

I have not used the asr1000 but it looks like a capable
box. You would do well to look at the MX80 fixed
chassis, it comes with 48 1G interfaces and 4 10G
interfaces. They are pretty good value, I think.

The thing the MX80 has that the ASR1000 is port density. You
get lots of Gig-E ports in there and a couple of 10Gbps
ports too. Not too bad.

The ASR1000 has an 8-port Gig-E card (called a SPA - Shared
Port Adapter) that offers the most dense Gig-E port capacity
in a single-height line card. There is a 10-port Gig-E SPA,
but that is a double-height unit, i.e., it eats up 2x slots.

10Gbps port density on the ASR1000 sucks a bit; there is
only a 1-port SPA, and no built-in 10Gbps ports unlike the
MX80. But on the other hand, the ASR1000 is great if you're
looking to throw in some non-Ethernet SPA's, e.g., serial,
E1, T1, SONET, SDH, e.t.c. The MX80 won't do this
efficiently today, and is really best deployed in Ethernet
scenarios.

Also, the MX80 can come with rather complicated licensing
structures even for the ports you want enabled, if you want
to take advantage of their cheaper offers. This can get
hairy.

Mark.