nanog mailing list archives

Re: [#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 19:28:41 -0500

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 07:53:53AM +0000, George Bonser wrote:
Back in the old days, people cared about policing bad behavior.

And I believe that is all that is needed today.  We simply, as a
community, need to decide that we aren't going to tolerate such
behavior.  It really is that simple.  The problem seems to be getting
people to act.  In fact, as this demonstrations, actions don't have
to be taken often.  Generally, once the big hammer is used, it gets
the point across.

The suits won, and many nerds either threw in with them or revealed
their affinity for the easy life and gave up. Being principled and
turning away dirty money or exercising the "fire the customer" clause
tends to be disliked by corporate officers.

--
         RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE / NewNOG