nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi speed trading - hi speed monitoring

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:30:33 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Graydon" <paul () paulgraydon co uk>

Anecdotally, I had an interview years ago for a small-ish futures
trading company based in London. The interviewer had to pause the
interview part way through whilst he investigated a 10ms latency spike
that the traders were noticing on a short point-to-point fiber link to
the London Stock Exchange. He commented that the traders were far
better at 'feeling' when an connection was showing even a trace of lag
compared to normal than anything he'd set up by way of monitoring (not
sure how good his monitoring was, though.)

This was my experience in a callcenter as well; network type problem reports
always came in from the floor managers before Nagios came forth with an
opinion.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com